All fire and EMS departments are encouraged to participate in International Fire/EMS Safety and Health Week. The IAFC and NVFC will provide resources and tools to help your department focus on health and safety. Keep checking back as new planning resources continue to be added.
Submit Your Resources, Stories, and Photos
Click here to share your department’s safety and health resources, media coverage, activities you are planning for Safety and Health Week, and success stories from your department.
Sample Department Press Release
Download these posters and place them in your department to provide all personnel with critical safety and health reminders.
- Safety and Health Week 2014 Poster (14×20 in.) - Coming soon!
- Rules of Engagement for Firefighter Survival and Incident Commander’s Rules of Engagement for Firefighter Safety
- Rules of Engagement for Firefighter Health
- B.E.S.T. Practices for Firefighter Health and Safety
Web Banners and Wallpaper
Place a web banner or banner on your department or organization web site and link it to www.safetyandhealthweek.org to help other first responders find tools and resources for Safety and Health Week. Use the wallpaper on your station desktops to remind all personnel to focus on safety and health.
- Web Ad 160×160
- Web Ad 160×240
- Web Ad 195×230
- Web Ad 300×100
- Web Ad 300×150
- Web Ad 468×60
- Web Ad 650×90
Use these ads to promote Safety and Health Week in printed publications or newsletters, or print them as flyers to hang on your department bulletin board.
Steps for Getting Healthy
This Safety and Health Week, look at the steps you and your department can take to help you get on the path towards good health so you can be at your best both on and off the job. Included are activity ideas and resources that can be implemented during Safety and Health Week to get you and your department started.
The focus of the 2014 Safety and Health Week is training. As part of the NVFC’s focus on first responder health and safety, a Training Summit will be held on June 20-21 in Myrtle Beach, SC, in conjunction with Safety and Health Week. The Summit will focus on two tracks: one on first responder health and safety and the other on fire prevention. A limited number of travel scholarships are available for eligible applicants. Learn more about the Summit and register.
ATS Training Giveaway
Action Training Systems is providing 50 free online training packages to all-volunteer or mostly volunteer departments. Each training package is good for one year and provides 20 department members with free access to Firefighter I and Firefighter II online training. The giveaway coincides with the 2014 Safety and Health Week and ties into the theme of “Train Like You Fight.” The winners of the giveaway will be announced during Safety and Health Week, June 15-21. The deadline to apply is May 1. Click here to learn more and to apply.
The NVFC offers a sereis of health and safety webinars that you can take on-demand. Click here to learn more and access the webinars. Many of the courses are offered through the NVFC’s Digital Chalk training platform; new students will be asked to create an account before accessing the course catalog. Courses include:
- Is Your Department at its B.E.S.T.?
- Fireground Accountability – Daring Not to be a Statistic
- STOP: Seatbelts Top Our Priorities (vehicle safety)
- Incident Safety Officer series
- Injury Prevention for the Fireground
- Equipment Management series
- Heat Stress – Choosing the Right PPE
- Pump Operations and Maintenance
- Health and Wellness Advocate training
- Disease Management for a Stronger, Longer Life
- Overcoming Wellness and Fitness Barriers in the Fire Service
- Behavioral Health and Firefighter Suicide Prevention
- Finding Your Life Balance
- Stress Resilience Strategies
- Firefighter Rehab/NFPA 1584
- Carbon Monoxide Dangers
- Functional Exercise
- Health and Wellness Program Design
- Heart Health
- Smoking Cessation
- Obesity in the Fire Service
- The Insulin Connection
Find additional training opportunities in the Training Resources section of this web site.